"Whenever and however you give birth, your experience will impact your emotions, your mind, your body, and your spirit for the rest of your life." - Ina May Gaskin
Pregnancy Yoga Six-Week Course
This six-week course of pregnancy yoga comprises six 70-minute sessions of gentle hatha yoga tailored for women who are 14 weeks+ of a healthy pregnancy. Each class will include asanas (postures), pranayama (breathing techniques), and guided meditations and they take place in a calm and nurturing environment.
1) Falling in love with your baby
A fun first class to connect with your baby through movement and meditation. Guaranteed to make you and baby smile.
2) How to calm pregnancy anxiety
Pregnancy can cause mood fluctuations. This class will introduce techniques to reduce stress, insomnia and anxiety.
3) How to lift a low mood in pregnancy
Prenatal depression can alter your birth experience and lead to postnatal depression. Coping strategies to combat low mood using yoga techniques will be given in this class.
4) Safely boosting core strength in the perinatal period
During pregnancy a strong core developed through yoga can reduce back pain, postural changes, pelvic floor weakness and abdominal muscle split.
5) Boosting pelvic strength in pregnancy
This class highlights how to safely perform yoga (and any movement) in the presence of PGP, and more.
6) Introduction to the base chakra for pregnancy, birth and beyond
Gentle introduction to the concepts of trust, support, intuition and surrender using yoga techniques. We will also discuss how to create the birth experience you want.
Address: Northenden Methodist Church, Palatine Road/Victoria Road Junction, Northenden, Manchester, M22 4JS (Google Maps : Northenden Fitness & Yoga)
Course dates: This class is currently not running
Class time: Thursday 18.30-19.40
If you can only make a few of the dates, drop in places may be available at £6 per class, but booking (through Florence) is essential.
Eligibility: no experience is necessary
Benefits of Pregnancy Yoga
Here are just some of the many benefits of pregnancy yoga:
For the mind:
1. Sun et al. (2010). Effects of a prenatal yoga programme on the discomforts of pregnancy and maternal childbirth self-efficacy in Taiwan. Midwifery 26: 31-36.
2. Newham et al. (2014). Effects of Antenatal Yoga on Maternal Anxiety and Depression: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Depress Anxiety 31: 631-40.
Some images taken before class one Tuesday evening: